You may know that I work from time to time as an expedition leader of cruise ships in The Arctic. In 2012 and 2013, I had the chance to work on a tall ship called Antigua, which is a beautiful barquentine that roams the waters of Svalbard / Spitsbergen each summer. I could write loads about the trips I did with that ship, but what I want to share in this post, is the interactive map I produced with the GPS track files, the diary and the photos afterwards.
So here’s what I did:
- Got the ship’s GPS track files from our journey.
- Converted them to a useful format and rendered them on top of Google Maps on a web page.
- Created an online photo album in Picasa.
- Added pins to the map – when clicked they show a bubble with diary entries and photos.
- Clicking the photos will open a higher resolution up in a new window.